In October, I achieved 2 major financial goals! I finally crossed the $100,000 mark for my investment portfolio and got my house deposit to $40,000. Feels so awesome to reach these milestones with still a few months of 2021 left. There was a lot of progress across my other goals and I’m in a good position for most of them for this stage of the year. Only 2 months left of 2021… what!
If you want to see my goals for 2021 and original starting points, with more explanation and background, check out my Goals for 2021 post.
Grow Net Worth to $200,000
- On the 1st of November, my net worth is at $148,865 (an increase of 15.6% from October)! So close to the 150k milestone.
- This growth was due to all of my investment accounts increasing over the past month, as well as my small portfolio of crytocurrency taking quite a huge leap out of nowhere (now accounting for 8% of my net worth). The big leader is still my ASX portfolio and super, but more on those below.
- If you were interested in how I grew my net worth over the past few years, check out the video I made here.
- See below for a graph of the growth of my net worth since properly tracking:
Grow Self Wealth Portfolio to $100,000 – DONE!!!
- My investment portfolio is now sitting at $100,234! and I’ve officially completed my goal of growing this to $100,000. I’m so happy for reaching the $100k milestone as I know from pure evidence and math that it gets easier and easier from this point on.
- I’ve managed to grow this from $68,449 in January 2021 to just over $100,000, with a few months spare – I’m hoping the market and my investing keeps up until 2022!
- This is, as mentioned previously, including my house deposit ($40,000) which at some point I do plan to take out and use (although the housing market right now is absolutely rediculous! I was looking at a 3 bed townhouse at around $570,000 during July-early August. Now those same town houses are selling at auction for $750,000… It’s insane and because of this I’m unsure if I’m ready to sink all of my deposit right now and instead would rather keep growing it.
Spend a Maximum of $30,000
- In October, I spent $577 more than my goal budget of $2,500.
- In terms of savings rate, managed to get a lower but still awesome 44.9%.
- As at November 2021, I have spent $37,875. It’s insane how much everything adds up. Be sure to be tuned in for the end of the year where I provide a full rundown of spending across the year.
- Yearly savings rate is 39.4%.
- See below for a chart of expenses:
Grow House Deposit to $40,000 – DONE!
- Over October, my house deposit grew from $38,933 to $41,502! That’s this goal done with still 2 months to go!!
- Another huge goal ticked off this month! Super happy to see that my house deposit goal has been reached and is steadily growing in my investment account.
Increase Strength Across the Major Powerlifting Movements, Reassessed Every 3 Months
- Current lifts and goals are updated as below:
- Squat (reach 120kg – started at currently at 95kg – haven’t tested one rep max)
- Bench Press (reach 95kg – started at 82.5kg – currently at 87.5kg – 15 April 2021)
- Deadlift (reach 160kg – currently at 140kg – haven’t tested one rep max)
- Overhead Press (reach 70kg – started at 57.5kg – currently at 60kg – 15 May 2021)
- Gyms in the ACT are finally re-opened and it will be great to get back into the groove and focus on building my strength back up, and hopefully above what my previous 1RMs were.
Increase Lean Muscle Mass
- Current lean muscle mass is 64.3kg (+0.2kg from October).
- Weight is sitting at 91.6kg (+0.3kg from October).
- Fat mass is 23.9kg (+0.1kg from October).
- These numbers have been fluctuating quite a bit over the past month. Gyms have been closed and starting up my PT sessions recently means very limited time. But hopefully I can get back into a groove and get some gym sessions in again.
Nathan Challenges Life
Grow YouTube Channel to 1,000 Subscribers and Reach 4,000 Watch Hours (monetisation criteria)
- Current subscribers = 387 (+5 during October)
- Watch hours = 737 (+41 over August)
- See below for October’s stats. Very similar to September. I have definitely not been committing enough time to this goal. In reality, having YouTube as a hobby and being successful requires a lot of time commitments around filming, editing, planning, uploading, etc. While I’d still love to reach the goal, I haven’t been able to put much effort into this recently due to other interests, and just life in general 😛
Publish 100 Videos on my YouTube Channel
- Videos = 80 (2 during October).
- I created 2 videos in October, but these were the new YouTube Shorts (1min video format) – so they don’t have the story and quality of my 3-5min videos. Given how long it takes to create a video and the time commitment, I think getting an extra 20 more videos by 2022 will be a real challenge if I don’t publish more Shorts and instead focus more on my normal content and 30-day challenges.
Write 50 Blog Posts on Nathan Challenges Life
- No blog posts in October.
- You can see my other posts on my Medium profile, here!
- Current posts = 19.
- Not much to add really. This is just another task among others that I haven’t really committed to. There are definitely more that I can write over the next few months, but it’s more so planning and sitting down to just write them which I haven’t managed to get into just yet.
Create Nathan’s Mobile PT and Gain 5 Regular Clients – DONE!
- Still maintaining a regular 6 clients
- I’m in the stages of preparing and getting all of the advice and information I need to hire my first employee for Nathan’s Mobile PT. I’ve worked out a lot of what I need so in the next few weeks I’ll be posting a job advertisement and hopefully get a few people interested for an interview! This is all a really exciting process and I’m really keen to scale this over the next few months. I’m really wanting to make sure I get at least one employee signed up and ready before 2022.
Read 30 Books
- Currently at ~25/30.
- Over the past few months, I’ve been making my way through the Deltora Quest series, as well as some very long audiobooks. I need to really work out how many books I’ve read so far, but I’d say it’s close!
- I post all my book reviews on my Goodreads profile – check them out!
I have been thinking about the things I want to do and try. So for 2021, I’m going to keep a list of things to do throughout the year to make sure I get them done. See below for my current list of things – I may add to this list as time goes on:
Test drive a Tesla– DONE (June)! Get my motorbike licence– DONE! (January)!
- Get my full motobike licence (I need to book this in August).
- Attend a Jiu Jitsu class – I’ve put this off due to COVID concerns.
- Organise a cycle-touring holiday/trip – I’ve done a bit of research into a few areas, the problem is having the right equipment. I will revisit when the weather is warmer.
- Attend a CrossFit class (Weather is getting nicer – need to book in on a free weekend!).
- Break a Guinness world record (There are two ideas I’ve thought of, I’ve applied for the documents for one of them, and I’m tossing up the other as it will take up a lot of time – I’ll have a think about it soon. It takes roughly 12 weeks to receive documents to start the record, then more to submit).
- Complete an obstacle course race – not completed just yet, there are quite limited numbers around me, may need to travel to NSW to complete this (hard at the moment as I don’t have any leave).
Go to an escape room– DONE! (August).
Some awesome achievements in October, especially hitting my goal of 100k for my investment portfolio and reaching my house deposit goal. Had an awesome increase in my net worth over the month with 15% increase in 1 month!
2 months left of 2021 and I’m in a good place for some goals. There are some goals that I won’t be able to hit, but nevertheless I will have made some decent progress, a whole lot more than I would have if I didn’t do these monthly goal reports to keep them on my mind!