It felt like April went very quickly. The biggest change during April was launching my mobile personal training business, Nathan’s Mobile PT, and it somewhat surprisingly kicking off VERY quickly, now taking up all of my spare time in the mornings – time I wasn’t doing anything anyway! Apart from that, some really good progress financially, and a few areas I definitely need to focus more on.
If you want to see my goals for 2021, with more explanation and background, check out my Goals for 2021 post.
Grow Net Worth to $200,000
- Over April, my net worth increased to an awesome $132,959! (increase of 8.2% from March). Pretty much all of my investment accounts, including super increased.
- Looking forward to July/August when my HECS debt finally decreases with a sizable chunk.
- This is all going very well, and not much more I can do other than investing money every month and seeing it grow over time.
- Check out below for a graph of my net worth and also a table showing exactly what my net worth consists of.
- If you were interested in how I grew my net worth over the past few years, check out the video I made here.
Grow Self Wealth Portfolio to $100,000
- My investment portfolio is now sitting at $71,225. This only saw an increase of about $300 since last month.
- Some of the players in my portfolio that caused really good growth during 2020 have been steadily dropping. ETFs are going well as always. Just a lot of volatility in the market at this stage.
- Falling a bit behind on this goal. My portfolio, as shown above, has only increased by about 3,000 since the start of the year. I’ll need to contribute a lot more to this to ensure I reach my goal.
Spend a Maximum of $30,000
- In April, I managed to have a savings rate of a brilliant 69%! One of my highest savings rate ever! While my spending was the same, I had my first large payment from my mobile PT business, which really helped to push up the income for the month.
- Unfortunately, my spending came to $2,711, $211 over budget, bringing my yearly balance ever lower at now -$6,519.
- Pretty average monthly spending, with the additional costs for my PT business. Spending for April below:
Grow House Deposit to $40,000
- My house deposit is currently sitting at $27,161. Decided that I will sell a few other investments (mainly crypto) to go towards my house deposit.
- I’ll need to start contributing more towards this to ensure I have the right amount of deposit available.
Increase Strength Across the Major Powerlifting Movements, Reassessed Every 3 Months
- After training 5×5 since the start of the year, I tested my bench press and found that I’ve increased my one rep max by 5kg! Going from 82.5kg to 87.5kg – getting closer to 90kg and my goal of 95kg! Check out the video I made here on my progress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0xIrb0x2kw
- Current lifts and goals are updated as below:
- Squat (reach 120kg – currently at 95kg)
- Bench Press (reach 95kg – currently at 87.5kg – 15 April 2021)
- Deadlift (reach 160kg – currently at 140kg)
- Overhead Press (reach 70kg – currently at 57.5kg)
- I will be testing my overhead press soon
Increase Lean Muscle Mass
- Current lean muscle mass is 64.1kg (+1kg from April).
- Weight is sitting at 89.6kg (+2.9kg from April).
- Fat mass is 22.1kg (+1.4kg from April).
- Overall going quite well, there was a bit of a jump in the scales weight from April, and unsure on the accuracy of the scales, but good to see my muscle mass was higher than April. I’ll need to hit the gym more often and focus on maintaining this level of calorie consumption.
Nathan Challenges Life
Grow YouTube Channel to 1,000 Subscribers and Reach 4,000 Watch Hours (monetisation criteria)
- Current subscribers = 294 (for some reason I saw a very big drop of 46 in one day… perhaps there was some clean up/review that got rid of potentially fake accounts – bummer!!!! but also a good thing – just a big step back from my goal)
- Watch hours = 627 (+12 over April) – still quite a long way away.
- April was quite a slow month, I’ve been finding it hard to put videos out due to it being a big time commitment. But really that’s just a bad excuse – there have been times I could have worked on videos, but honestly I’ve just taken a bit of time off and relaxed.
- Stats in April:
Publish 100 Videos on my YouTube Channel
- Videos = 69 (+2 over April).
- Really need to work on this. There are a few videos I’ve been meaning to make, and a few smaller video ideas I thought could be useful.
Write 50 Blog Posts on Nathan Challenges Life
- In April, I didn’t write any articles on my Medium profile here
- For this goal, I really need to set some time aside purely for writing articles. There are some ideas I could definitely write out, but this goal specifically gets pushed out of my mind – if I schedule time in my calendar, once and week, I should be able to write an article per week.
Create Nathan’s Mobile PT and Gain 5 Regular Clients
- Well, going from 0 clients in mid-April, I’ve just signed up my 5th client! While I’m not sure how regular the clients will be, that’s pretty much this goal done!
- People have really liked the idea of my 8 week challenge post I created, and a few other people have joined for one or two sessions a week.
- Currently I’ve got 8 sessions across my weekdays between 6am and 8am. So I’ve been getting used to waking up early and training people before work.
- Been thinking about potentially looking into hiring someone to help out – will see how it goes.
Read 30 Books
- Currently at 10/30.
- In April, I read A Life on Our Planet by David Attenborough and the Forests of Silence by Emily Rodda.
- I post all my book reviews on my Goodreads profile.
I have been thinking about the things I want to do and try. So for 2021, I’m going to keep a list of things to do throughout the year to make sure I get them done. See below for my current list of things – I may add to this list as time goes on:
- Test drive a Tesla (just emailed during this review!)
Get my motorbike licence– DONE! (January)
- Attend a Jiu Jitsu class
- Organise a cycle-touring holiday/trip.
- Attend a CrossFit class (I’ll need to book in for a fundamentals course before I can attend a proper course – just booked while doing this review!).
- Break a Guinness world record (I’ve got an idea – something I’ve been thinking about for YEEEAAARRRSSS – will look further into it in May).
- Complete an obstacle course race (none in Canberra, will need to travel to NSW for one).
I’ve been a bit slow on completing these goals – definitely a number I can do in May, just a matter of booking something in and doing it!
Areas of Focus for May
- I need to commit more time and focus to the gym and working out!
- Everything YouTube!
- I’ve been a bit slack on posting content for Nathan Challenges Life – need to get back on to creating daily content.
I’d love to know how you are going with your goals!