Super excited about my goals for this year! I will be writing a monthly review/summary at the start of each month to keep me on track. If you haven’t written down any specific goals for this year, I would really recommend to do so. Just the act of thinking and writing your goals down can significantly improve the likelihood that you will achieve them.
For 2020, I’ve organised my goals more towards themes. I may add to them over time if something comes up, but for the moment they are:
- Reach a net worth of $100,000
- Currently at $25,677. Need to increase this by $75,000. This equals an increase of $6,250 per month. This includes investments, savings, super and liabilities like my HECS fee.
- Grow my Australian investment portfolio to $70,000
- Currently at $38,167. Need to increase this by $31,833. This equals an increase of $2,652 per month. I will aim higher than this, but this is the minimum value I want to have by 2021 to meet my ultimate long-term goal of being financially independent (more information on this under FIRE).
- Save/invest at least 50% of my income
- Taking into account and maintaining my current salary and reductions for HECS repayment, to save 50%, I will need to save/invest $2,250 per month.
- Lower body fat to 15%
- This will involve more oversight into my diet and food intake whilst keeping up with strength training and cardio. I will take monthly scans using the mPod. Currently 21%.
- Increase lean muscle mass
- I will take monthly scans using the mPod to assess muscle gain and fat loss. By the end of 2020, I want to have more muscle mass than the start of 2020, and ideally very similar or lower fat mass. Current fat free mass is 66kg (79% of weight)
- Increase strength across major lifts
- This includes deadlift, squat, bench press, and overhead press. I made a video performing my current lifts here. At 6 months, I will re-perform a close to one-rep max for each lift and assess whether training is on point. By the end of 2020, I want to have increased my one-rep max on each lift. Unsure if I should aim for a number yet. I’ll think about it.
- Re-assess 1-2RM at 6 and 12 months for the following:
- Squat – currently 80kg
- Deadlift – currently 130kg
- Bench press – currently 75kg
- Overhead press – currently 50kg
- Expand PedalPay (www.pedalpay.com.au)
- Increase partnered store numbers, currently at 3.
- Increase user numbers
- Increase social media following and awareness, currently at 55 for Facebook and 17 on Instagram.
- Increase awareness (posters, articles, flyers, posts, videos, content).
- Expand Nathan Challenges Life (www.nathanchallengeslife.com)
- Complete and upload challenges in blog form onto my website.
- Create YouTube videos of challenges.
- Post monthly updates of goals and FIRE progress onto the website.
- Reduce single-use plastics and non-recycled products
- I will strive to, where possible, use re-usable containers and recycled products. This includes shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, toiletries, food etc. This doesn’t apply to buying new items, where there is no escaping plastics. I will aim to purchase more items second-hand, excluding electronics. I will also aim to purchase products that are created through the recycling process, and choose products that use sustainable manufacturing over others.
- Reduce consumption of added sugar in foods and drinks
- I will strive to reduce the amount of food I eat that contains added sugar. I will opt for the no-sugar version where possible. This will be achieved by focusing on a more whole food diet and stop buying sugary snacks and drinks, which works well with reducing plastic.
- Wake up at 5am every day
- I will strive to, when possible, to wake up and get out of bed at 5am. The only occasions where this may not be possible is when I’m travelling or camping. This means that I will aim to be asleep by 10pm at the latest to allow at least 7 hours of sleep.
- Read 25 books
- This will mainly include audiobooks but in the case that I ride to work more often, I will need to ensure I read something almost every day either in the morning or at night.